General Information Taking Money to Japan

Using Credit Cards for shopping

VISA cards tend to be more widely accepted in Japan for shopping. MasterCard and American Express may be accepted, but limited.

International ATM Service (Withdrawals for cards issued abroad)

Japan Post Bank provides cash withdrawal services for credit cards and cash cards issued by overseas financial institutions. Cards bearing the VISA, VISAELECTRON, PLUS, MasterCard, Maestro, Cirrus, American Express, Diners Club, JCB, China Union pay and DISCOVER can make withdrawals at Japan Post Bank ATMs. You can use this service at “Ohgigaoka Post Office” where you can reach by foot from KIT. Please note that a correct PIN number is required for using this service.

Sending Money from U.S. to Japan

One of the best ways to have money sent to Japan (just in case you desperately need cash while you are in Japan) is by mailing an international postal money order via regular mail service (4-5 days) or via express mail (1-2 days). All you need to do is to ask your friend or a family member to visit a local major post office, purchase an international postal money order and mail it to Kanazawa. There will be a service charge depending on the amount of money and the maximum amount for a single international postal money order is $700. Please make sure that the recipient's address is identical to the one that appears on the ID card presented upon cashing the money order in Japan. DO NOT USE your temporary address at KIT.

When you receive the money order, you visit a nearby post office. Please take your driver's license or others that has your address on for identification. Your passport is not valid since it does not have your address. Unlike banks, there will be no service charge when you receive cash.


The only currency used in Japan is "yen". You must change denominations to yen at a bank or a post office. The bill denominations in Japan are 10,000 yen, 5,000 yen, 2,000 yen and 1,000 yen. (2,000 yen note is rarely used.) Coins are 500 yen, 100 yen, 50 yen, 10 yen, 5 yen and 1 yen. The most often used are 1,000 yen bills and 100 and 10 yen coins.
No traveler's checks are accepted in stores and restaurants. You have to use cash or credit cards.

Dollar/Yen Conversion

Major foreign currencies may be converted to yen either from cash or traveler's checks at banks and post offices below. Note that the banks and post offices are closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays.

name address phone hours
Hokkoku Bank Head office
The Korinbo Branch
The Katamachi Branch
The Kanazawa Station Branch
The Nonoichi Branch
2-12-6 Hirooka
6-15 Minamicho
2-2-15 Katamachi
6-10 Konohana
19-1 Yokomiyacho
Mizuho Bank Kanazawa Branch 1-7 Kamitsutsumi 076-232-1161 9:00-15:00
Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ Bank 2-3-25 Kourinbo 076-221-4181 9:00-15:00
The Main Post Office 1-1 Sanja 076-224-3850 9:00-18:00
The Kourinbo Post Office 2-1-3 Katamachi 076-221-1724 9:00-16:00
The Ohgigaoka Post Office 4-12 Ohgigaoka 076-246-3400 9:00-16:00